Johnson County School District #1 wants to assure all parents that you have the following rights provided by our district:

  • You have the right to request information about the qualifications of your child’s teacher.

  • If your child is limited English proficient and we recommend a program to assist in this area, you have the right to opt out of the program.

  • If our schools fail to make adequate yearly progress, parents will be notified. We would also provide information regarding your choices as a parent. Thus far, all of the schools in Johnson County have made wonderful progress!

  • You have the right to know if your child has been taught for 4 or more consecutive weeks by a teacher who is not highly qualified.


The McKinney-Vento Act, authorized under Title VII-B of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act (42 USC 11431 et seq.), (McKinney-Vento Act). The program defines “homeless children and youth” as individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence.

The term includes –

  • Children and youth who are:

    • Sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason (sometimes referred to as doubled-up);

    • Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to lack of alternative adequate accommodations;

    • Living in emergency or transitional shelters; abandoned in hospitals; or

    • Awaiting foster care placement;

  • Children and youth who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for, or ordinarily used as, a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings;

  • Children and youth who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings; and

  • Migratory children who qualify as homeless because they are living in circumstances described above.

Resource Files: McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act (PDF – 105 KB)


Johnson County School District #1 uses the following plan for students in our district deemed to be neglected, homeless or delinquent:

1 – Anyone may make a referral to the principal or the school’s Building Intervention Team/Building At-Risk Team. The team meets to study the referral.

Referrals may include but are not limited to:

  • Physical Signs

    • Chronic hunger

    • Poor hygiene

    • Chronic health problems

    • Inability to concentrate

    • Lack of school supplies

    • No homework, books, papers needing signature

  • Emotional Signs

    • Difficulty trusting

    • Nervousness, extreme shyness, withdrawal

    • Anger, aggression

    • Low self-esteem

    • Trouble with the law

    • Promiscuity

    • Suspected use of drugs or alcohol

2 – The principal or social worker contacts parents/guardian for a meeting to share concerns.

3 – The principal or social worker offers help in finding assistance to the parents and child(ren) including tutoring services, flexible hours, counseling services, food, shelter, clothing, school supplies, transportation, medical referrals, etc. (Please refer to resources listed below.)

4 – A plan is put into place to help the family and child(ren). The plan is reviewed in a scheduled follow-up meeting determined by the needs. A plan is made to continue to track the child(ren) even if they leave the district. The plan is sent to the district liaison, Dr. Steven Miller.


  • School District Liaison – 684-9571

    • Title 1 funding for homeless children and connections to community agencies.

  • Department of Family Services – 684-7281

    • Funds for family counseling, emergency services, food, clothing, shelter, child care and medical services. (381 N. Main St., Buffalo)

  • Gorgen Fund – 684-2211

    • Funds for education and medical needs including vision, dental, doctor appointments and doctor bills.

  • Kirkpatrick Foundation – Dave Harness at Adams Funeral Home – 684-2251

    • Funds for tennis shoes, athletic clothing, athletic camps.

  • Littler Fund – CW (Burley) – 684-7270

    • Reimbursement for school supplies and other requests by letter. (PO Box 922, Buffalo, WY 82834)

  • Mental Health Center of Northern Wyoming – 684-5531 or 684-5521

    • Around the clock services for issues related to mental health; people are never turned away because they can’t pay. (521 W. Lott St., Buffalo)

  • Public Health – 684-2564

    • Free shots, health inspection, contraceptives, screen for STDs, screen for HIVs, Dietary Advice, etc. (85 Klondike Avenue, Buffalo)

  • Salvation Army – 672-2444

    • Emergency services (gas, shelter, etc.); vouchers for clothing, blankets, food boxes; Harvest Program (9am-3pm: Monday-Friday) Receive donated food from local grocery stores. (150 Tschirgi, Sheridan)

  • School Nurses – 684-5594 (CCMS) / 684-0153 (CPES)/ 684-9518 (MDLK) / 684-2269 (BHS)/ 217-7030 (NWHS)/ 738-2323 (Kaycee)

    • Provide breakfast and light snacks for hungry children; cough drops, Tylenol, etc with parental permission; able to find resources such as hats, gloves, change of clothes.

  • Food Pantry – Episcopal Church

    • Open Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 12p-1p and 5p-6p. (178 S. Main, Buffalo)

  • LIEAP – 800-246-4221

    • Funds to help cover utility bills (applications taken from Oct-Feb); Weatherization Program

  • WIC – 217-0750 or 672-5174

    • Help for women, infants and children. In Buffalo on Mondays. (963 Fort Suite # )

  • Community Resource Center – 684-7933

    • Offers a variety of resources that they can connect you with .(40 East Hart, Buffalo [2nd floor])

  • Family Crisis Center – 684-2233 or 684-2030 (crisis line)

    • Services for victims of domestic abuse and their children. (255 E. Fetterman)

  • Boys and Girls Club – 684-9908 or 684-9922

    • Club set up for young people to realize their full potential as productive, responsible and caring citizens. (235 S. Main, Buffalo)

  • Buffalo Area Transit System (BATS) – 684-9551

    • Transportation provided by appointment M/F 8am-5pm; Sa/Su 8:30am – 2pm. (Senior Center 671 W. Fetterman)

  • Buffalo Housing Authority (Clear Creek Apt) – 684-2860

    • Manages Clear Creek Apartments and processes Section 8 application forms for rental assistance in Johnson County. (315 S. Cedar)

  • Wyoming Alternatives for Youth (Johnson-Sheridan Youth Home, Milestones Youth Home) – 672-0475

    • Comprehensive family centered services and programs include Specialized Foster Care, Respite Care, Group Homes, Runaway and Homeless Youth Program, Emergency Shelter Care, Juvenile Justice Jail Removal and 48 Hour Holdover Program, Independent/Transitional Living Program & Juvenile Probation for Johnson County.

  • Johnson County Family YMCA – Tim Miner – 684-9558

    • Provides a wide variety of fitness and recreational activities to persons of all ages. (101 Klondike)

  • Parent Education Network (PEN) –  (877) 900-9736 or 684-7441

    • Information, support, lending library, workshops and networking for parents of school age children. (5 N. Lobban)